The first organized fire protection in the City of Latrobe was established on December 17th, 1879, when fifteen individuals gathered to form Goodwill Hose Company #1.
At the time, Borough Council purchased their first piece of apparatus, a small hand pulled cart. This specialized vehicle, which cost $800.00, sported a chemical tank, a hand ladder, pike poles and ten leather buckets.
Council at the time also endorsed A.J. Keepers as its first Fire Chief.
As the community expanded, the need for first protection grew. Hook & Ladder #2 and Freewill Hose Company #3 were organized in 1886.
At this time the three existing companies were united to form the original Latrobe Fire Department.
The year 1886 established two more firsts for the department. Fire Hose was purchased to replace the old "Bucket Brigade System", twenty-five hydrants were installed, and three more hand carts were purchased which carried 300 feet of hose.
With the population of the Borough continually increasing, even more fire protection was needed. In 1906, Free Services Fire Unity #6 was organized, followed by Good Friends Hose Company #5 in 1907.
On April 20, 1908 the various companies combined forces to make what is known as todayâ's Latrobe Volunteer Fire Department. To celebrate the occasion, the Department staged its first parade one month later.
Following the re-organization, the department purchased a horse drawn Hook & Ladder truck to compliment its fleet of hose carts.
Not until 1918, thirty-nine years after the Department was born, was the first piece of motorized equipment purchased an American LaFrance 750 GPM Pumper.
A 350 GPM Seagrave engine was added in 1923. Numerous other Pumpers and Ladder Trucks were purchased in the following years, some with financial assistance of the City.
A memorable event was staged in Latrobe in September 1989, as the State Fireman's Convention was held here.
In January of 1998 the Borough of Latrobe became the City of Latrobe.